[mythtv-users] What post xine filters are you using for MythDVD

Niklas Brunlid nbr at ticalc.org
Sun Sep 12 15:29:05 EDT 2004

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 10:08:04 -0400, Mark Dobossy <mdobossy at Princeton.EDU>
wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2004, at 10:30 PM, john roberts wrote:
>

>> Anyone want to share their --post options (such as tvtime, etc) for
>> watching DVD's?  I've been trying to use a chained post in an attempt
>> to improve the DVD watching.  My progressive DVD player looks better
>> then MythDVD. :(
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> Here is how I am launching xine-
>
> xine -pfhq -s dvd --post
> unsharp:
> luma_matrix_width=5,luma_matrix_height=5,luma_amount=2.0,chroma_matrix_w
> idth=5,chroma_matrix_height=5,chroma_amount=1.0
>
> I find this gives a nice sharp picture.  If you have a hdtv, it might
> be a bit too sharp (reduce the amount for both luma and chroma to about
> 0.5).

How does this compare to the quality of mplayer? I experimented briefly
with using xine as my only external player in mythtv, but I could never
get xine anywhere near the quality of mplayer, especially on animated
movies (as in, smaller than and upscaled to 704x576) with bright colours
divided by sharp black lines - the lines would become jagged, like some
nearest-neighbour upscale algorithm gone horribly wrong. MPlayer OTOH
would present a nice smooth line with some anti-aliasing.