[mythtv-users] What post xine filters are you using for MythDVD

Mark Dobossy mdobossy at Princeton.EDU
Sun Sep 12 18:05:18 EDT 2004

On Sep 12, 2004, at 3:29 PM, Niklas Brunlid wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 10:08:04 -0400, Mark Dobossy
> <mdobossy at Princeton.EDU> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 11, 2004, at 10:30 PM, john roberts wrote:
>>
>> Here is how I am launching xine-
>>
>> xine -pfhq -s dvd --post
>> unsharp:
>> luma_matrix_width=5,luma_matrix_height=5,luma_amount=2.0,chroma_matrix
>> _w
>> idth=5,chroma_matrix_height=5,chroma_amount=1.0
>>
>> I find this gives a nice sharp picture.  If you have a hdtv, it might
>> be a bit too sharp (reduce the amount for both luma and chroma to
>> about
>> 0.5).
>
> How does this compare to the quality of mplayer? I experimented
> briefly with using xine as my only external player in mythtv, but I
> could never get xine anywhere near the quality of mplayer, especially
> on animated movies (as in, smaller than and upscaled to 704x576) with
> bright colours divided by sharp black lines - the lines would become
> jagged, like some nearest-neighbour upscale algorithm gone horribly
> wrong. MPlayer OTOH would present a nice smooth line with some
> anti-aliasing.

Niklas-

I find the quality to be about par with mplayer.  Do understand that
this is on my older SDTV, so it could look totally different on an HDTV
(if that is what you are using).