[mythtv-users] Re: Why and Why NOT FC2?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Sep 13 06:39:22 EDT 2004

On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 11:05:37PM -0700, Nowhere wrote:
> I have an FC1 install working fine. My question is why would I want to
> upgrade my Mythbox (specifically) to FC2. And contrarily, why wouldn't I
> (i.e. risks)? I can give the first con:
>
> Con: My current system works. Ain't broke don't fix...

Never run a touchy system. Ehm, or something along that lines.

If your FC1 setup works, don't break it! Unless you are bored to death
and need some occupation ;)

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 03:27:01AM -0400, Darryl Wisneski wrote:
> I look forward to using Fedora Core 2 so I can take advantage of the
> multimedia improvements that you get in the 2.6 kernel (& stuff).

Like the enforced 4KSTACKS that broke xfs and ivtv? Or the latencies
that made all audio applications go back to kernel 2.4? I believe the
contrary is the case.

> I understand that FC2 uses 2.6 by default.  Some of the newer
> drivers necessary for latest revisions on chipsets of the raw tv
> capture cards (no compression) are in the 2.6.  Anybody care to
> comment on specific cards & chipsets?

That's true, some newer drivers for some DVB-T cards (based on cx88),
or newer PVR 250 cards with newer tcl tuners are only supported with
patches for kernel 2.6.

In general: If it works unter FC1, use this, otherwise try your luck
with FC2.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net