[mythtv-users] 0.16: How to enable new vsync code and bob deint?

Thomas Börkel thomas at boerkel.de
Mon Sep 13 13:40:16 EDT 2004

HI!

First, thanks a lot for the quick and interesting answer.

Doug Larrick wrote:

>> I did not find this in the docs.
>>
>> How do I enable the new vsync code in 0.16?
>
> You have no choice; it's enabled.  The old code is gone :-)

I see. ;-)

> You may want to run 'mythfrontend --verbose playback', play a video, and
> take note of the timing method it's using:
> * if you're using nVidia version <= 43xx, you should see nVidia timing
> * if you're using nVidia version 53xx, upgrade!
> * if you're using nVidia version 61xx, you should make sure to build
> with OpenGL vsync support (in settings.pro), and you should see OpenGL
> timing

Why not use nVidia timing with 61xx, if OpenGL is not available? Also,
can it be built with OpenGL support, but run without?

> * I'm not sure who needs DRM timing, but if you used it before, it
> should continue to work
> * Most others should see /dev/rtc timing.  If not, check permissions on
> /dev/rtc and the contents of /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq (should be
> 1024; if not, arrange for it to be so, probably with the 'systune'
> package).

/proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq is 64. What's the systune package?

> * If you can't use any of the above for some reason, it will fall back
> to 'sleep with busy-wait,' which is actually not bad with a 2.6 kernel.
>  It consumes a little more CPU though, especially with a 2.4 kernel.

What did we have in Myth 0.15, if A/V sync was off?

>> How do I use the new bob deinterlacer in 0.16?
>
> It's in the settings, in the same location as the old "Deinterlace
> Playback" checkbox was.  You enable deinterlacing, then choose a method.

I see it now. :-)

Thomas