[mythtv-users] Why and Why NOT FC2?

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Sep 14 14:49:00 EDT 2004

Nowhere wrote:

> Thanks for the inputs so far guys. I ask because not everything is where
> I would like it and I do like staying current with drivers, kernels etc.
>
> It seems there are two routes I can take to upgrade to FC2. I can change
> a 1 to a 2 in the sources.list file and apt-get update && dist-upgrade.
> This is a 520Mb dist upgrade and a little daunting (It tells me I have
> to type in "Yes, do what I say!" to confirm LoL).

I should try that one for kicks...

> Other choice is to backup my video db info and try a fresh install. As I
> have never done the mysql backup and restore of the db this is (to me)
> equally risky ( I don't want to loose the video information I already
> have).

All I did to migrate my entire system from FC1 to FC2 was:

1) Save my /video directory (easy, since it is its own partition)
2) cp -r /var/lib/mysql /video/
3) Reformat all but /video and install FC2
4) cp -r /video/mysql/* /var/lib/mysql/
5) reinstall mythtv
6) fire up mysqld
7) fire up mythbackend

Everything went smooth as can be. Don't even need to muck around with
mysqldump and restore, just copy the files.

> Also,
>
> What is the current status of the non-4kstacks ATrpms kernel. Is it
> still needed?

Not entirely. There are still some issues with full xfs partitions though.

> Have enough modules been built for it to get by yet?  If
> this is still a sticky point I may hold off a while. Seems to be plenty
> of people running FC2 now tho...

Everything works great here now, no issues w/any missing modules.
Upgrading isn't necessary, but it ought to be relatively painless now.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...