[mythtv-users] Myth/FC kickstart (was: Sound in FC2 2.6.8-1.521)

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Sep 14 16:07:01 EDT 2004

Michael J. Lynch wrote:

> It's small little details like this in Jarod's HOWTO that are easy to
> overlook.

The damned things is too long... :-)

(actually, some work is under way to prompt the user for their setup,
then only spit out what they need to shorten it up a bit)

> This is why I read the FC1 howto 3 or 4 times before
> attempting an install.  I printed the whole thing out and used a
> highlighter to highlight everything that had anything to do with my
> installation and everything installed and worked as advertised without a
> single problem.

I just wing it.

> Thanks for the outstanding work on the HOWTO Jarod.

:-)

> BTW Jarod, I've been mulling over the idea of creating a Redhat anaconda
> kickstart and a shell script that basically does all of the stuff from
> your HOWTO.  Would you be interested in such a beast?

Someone else (Ryan Pisani) actually already wrote up a perl that does
most of the stuff after the install, and I said in a thread about 3
months ago that I'd look at creating a kickstart. Never got around to
the kickstart, and linking to the perl seems to have slipped my mind...
But yes, a kickstart that does everything would kick(start) ass. I could
see everything done at install time via the kickstart, utilizing the
%post section. Could even use perl as the %post interpreter and
incorporate some of that perl that's already out there...

Here's the perl:
http://frouse3.homelinux.com/forum/download.php?id=5

I know very little perl myself, so if I were the one to roll everything
into the %post, I'd do it in bash.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com