[mythtv-users] [offtopic] what do you use to 'stream' mp3

Anthony Floyd anthonyfloyd at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 17:18:37 EDT 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:29:17 +0200, zardoz at zardoz.ath.cx
<zardoz at zardoz.ath.cx> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> as you are the linux and multimedia guys here, maybe you can answer my
> question.
>
> I have dozens of mp3 on my server, but would like to listen to them in every
> room. for the living room, myth does a perfect job, but for the kitschen, the
> garage, etc. it is simply to expensive. I am in love with these small $100
> boxes from netgear or linksys, but they all require (at least from my
> understanding) a windows box to act as a server. is there anything that i
> could use with a standard protocol like ftp, nfs or ......

Hi,

Edna (http://edna.sourceforge.net/)  is what you want.  Streams over
http.  Works with all popular players.  I use it to stream my 60GB+
mp3 collection.  Excellent directory based on-the-fly generated track
listing.  Keeps statistics and can (should) be password protected.  No
need to install anything other than edna and python (which you
probably already have).  Development on it is slow, but, it Just Works
(tm).