[mythtv-users] PVR350/Myth Questions

Daniel Savard Daniel.Savard at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 21:05:16 EDT 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:48:16 -0700, Jarod Wilson <jcw at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 September 2004 14:51, Daniel Savard wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:23:36 -0700, Jarod Wilson <jcw at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> > > m0j0.j0j0 wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't believe that's possible.
> >
> > Why not? The PVR-350 will just be another X11 Display or a display
> > head depending on the XF86Config. It doesn't prevent any other X11
> > display to exist.
>
> Snipping is appreciated, but ya took out a bit too much there... What don't I
> believe is possible? Had to look back at another email to figure that out.
> Just wanted to point this out. :-)
>
> > It is currently possible to have an X11 display on the TV-out and on
> > the graphics adapter. I don't have the nVidia adapter, so, I cannot
> > exactly test it for the original question. But, as far as I understand
> > it, the TV-out on the nVidia is defined as a X11 display exactly as
> > any other display. You can even use Xinerama to consolidate them as
> > one display where the mouse can switch from one to the other.
> >
> > So, I don't see why it could not be possible.
>
> Yes, its technically possible to display the same thing on both the 350's
> output and a nVidia card. However, they're VERY different output devices. I
> don't think you could do mirrored mode, because anything OpenGL would attempt
> to render on both heads and choke to death trying to render on the 350. If
> you have seperate heads, you have to tell Myth which one to run on, which
> can't be done on a per-module basis. I *have* heard of someone who ran pretty
> much everything on his video card, but enabled "use PVR-350 output" for
> playback. He'd select a recording in the UI while viewing through the video
> card, then flip to the PVR-350 for video. Not the most elegant solution, but
> probably the closest to being able to do what the OP is after right now.
>
> --
> Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
> jarod at wilsonet.com

Ok, right the problem is there is no way to associate a module with
display head within MythTV.  However, in this specific case,  maybe
it's possible to hack the XML code (gamelist.xml and modify the
<command/> content) for MythGame to include something like the display
and head name? After all, the game emulators are just plain X11 apps
and they should respond appropriately to the -display option.