[mythtv-users] Anybody tried prelink?

Blues Guy bluesguy at stny.rr.com
Wed Sep 15 13:38:42 EDT 2004

Stephen Tait wrote:

> At 08:43 15/09/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> Brian
>> Auto login is not that difficult.  KDE controls this with
>> /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc.  You can configure it with KDE control center (GUI)
>> or by editing the file manually.  A quick grep of my kdmrc file yields
>> the following.
>>
>> [root at mythtv kdm]# cat -n kdmrc | grep mythtv
>>     25  DefaultUser=mythtv
>>     54  NoPassUsers=mythtv
>>     61  AutoLoginUser=mythtv
>

> Aye, I've done autlogin under KDE and GNOME before, but I don't have
> either installed on this system and so have been looking for a way to
> do it with xdm (no joy) or another lightweight login manager that
> supports autologin (again, no joy). Enlightenment's login manager is
> about to get autologin support, but again it'd mean me installing yet
> more unnecessary libraries and stuff.

Then don't install all that stuff.  On my dedicated box, I've got less
than 1GB (and that still seems like it's too much).  I only run X and
xfwm4.  Start from a bare minimum install and add on from there.  This
have been covered before if you search the archives.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/49788?#49788

My startup script that gets run when the myth user logs in looks like this:

export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
X :0 -dpi 100 &
xfwm4 --daemon
mythfrontend

That's it.  The machine boots, init logs in the mythtv user, the script
runs, and up comes myth.  Simple.  And I don't have megs and megs of
unused KDE or Gnome desktop files filling up my drive.

As for autologin, try
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/33305?search_string=auto%20login;#33305