[mythtv-users] [Fwd: RE: Hardware Happiness Survey (was "Why and Why NOT FC2?)]

Darryl Wisneski - ski myth at skicentral.tv
Wed Sep 15 15:30:40 EDT 2004

for the archives...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: Hardware Happiness Survey (was "Why and Why NOT FC2?)
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 11:27:23 -0700
From: Nowhere <nowhere at cox.net>
To: 'Darryl Wisneski' <myth at skicentral.tv>

Thanks!

> Athlon XP 2000+, MSI K7N2GM-L, 512MB Kbyte, 80GB Seagate Single
Platter,
> 2xPVR250 Coolmax CX300B Silent PSU, Coolermaster ATC-610BX1 Case,
Fedora
> Core 1, 2.4.22-1.2179 kernel, ivtv-0.1.9, myth 0.15.20040505.1
>
> Do you have any regrets?

I'm not sure I would use the MSI board again. I have not put a ton of
thought into it but I suspect to reduce cost, I would use a cheaper
board without the onboard video/TVout and just get 1xPVR250 and
1xPVR350. Don't know how I would do the initial install yet. I don't
know the price difference between the 250/350 either. May be more that
the board differential...

> Would you have separated the backend out rather than combine the
> fronted/backend if you could do it all again?

I would still combine the systems. I already have toooo many PCs in the
house!

> How is that power supply?  Would you have rather gone with a higher
end
> PSU (like antec or something)?

PSU is GREAT! VERY quiet. It was about $40 and has worked like a champ.
It has a HUGE single fan that moves a lot of air at low RPM...

> How is the noise in the coolermaster ATC?

See above.

> How is the fit in the coolermaster ATC?  Is there any room to spare?

I have two PVRs and could easily squeeze two more in. I am having a
little trouble with heat right now tho and thus I am running it without
the lid attached. My entertainment enclosure leaves only about 1/2 inch
on all sides of the box and my conservative settings for CPU warning go
off in Phoenix in the summer with the lid closed. This I have not spent
any time trying to resolve since you cannot see that the lid is not
installed (that is how tight it is in my entertainment enclosure).  The
ATC has only one tiny little fan in the back and really not sufficient
air flow. I think some minor modifications will correct this but I
haven't had time to plan it out yet.

> Can you underclock that MSI K7N2GM-L board?

Never tried. I could have a look while I am trying to upgrade...

> Any problem with linux/mythtv & using the MSI K7N2GM-L on-board sound?

No problems with the hardware (I think ;) I have been having alsa driver
problems. Everytime I upgrade I lose the sound in the mythvideo
(mplayer) only. MythTV still has sound, Music, X, etc. just no sound in
mplayer. I suspect it is a problem with the conf file of mplayer or
conflict in my module settings. I'm not very good at that and I have
errors in my /var/log/messages log I have not yet squashed. But once I
have it working it works like a champ forever. I have only had one
backend crash (2 days ago) and I'm sure it was because of the upgrade
poking around I was doing. It ran for three solid months with no
intervention before that.

> I appreciate your help.  I have been lurking for a while trying to
find
> just the right combo of hardware for my needs.  I like what you have
put
> together here & think your list is pretty close to what I desire under
> my TV (sleek sexy & one PCI port to spare).  Too bad newegg.com is out
> of stock on that particular MSI.

Another problem with the MSI is it is EXTREMELY picky about brands of
memory sticks you use.  I ended up having to used some cheap (after
rebate) Kbyte RAM from CompUSA after my Kingston sticks originally
bought for the machine and my very high end Corsair from my home machine
didn't work. I found this link after the fact...
http://forum.msi.com.tw/thread.php?threadid=14555&sid=

The only reason I went with the MSI was to get cheap TVout (Since at the
time PVR350 X TVout was not really viable). If I had to do it over again
I would get a cheaper nforce board with basic onboard graphics and nice
onboard sound and work the PVR350 TVout solution. There are tons of
those boards out there.

> Thanks,
> -dkw

NP Keep in touch and let me know what you decide. Feel free to ask any
other questions.