[mythtv-users] which chipset is better: NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 + MCP or VIA KM400 + VT8235

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 20:15:22 EDT 2004

I am considering upgrading my motherboard/CPU.  Currently using a
syntax mobo with integrated VIA CPU and that gives me serious
performance issues.  I have checked the archives a bit and  know the
older VIA chipsets are dreadful for DMA issues.  I was wondering if
there is a big difference performance b/t the two listed in the
subject.  The boards I was considering b/t are Chaintechs (7NIL1 and
7VIF4) with the former being the nForce and the later being the VIA,
there is also a price diff with nForce being about $15 more.  Is there
really a difference in quality?  I know there are certain things to be
careful of when installing a nForce based board but after that, will i
notice any difference?

Thanks,
Gabe