[mythtv-users] Re: X keeps freezing

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 15 22:09:18 EDT 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:46:05 -0400
Louis Adamich <ladamich at cox.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am running fedora 2 with a Nvidia card, 4000 I believe.  I have
> followed Jacobs install howto pretty much.  He states that the 4k
> stack isn't a problem with the newest driver but I am seeing random
> lockups.  When I SSH into the box X is at about 98% cpu.  Does anybody
> know if the 4k stack stuff applies to the latest nvidia driver or not.
>  Any other ideas.

Don't know if it's the same problem, but I see this all the time as
well.  My setup:

FC 1
GF4 MX 420
nvidia-6111 driver (also tried -4363)
kernel: 2.4.22-1.2199.nptl_52.rhfc1.at (ATrpms)

If it is the same problem, it's obviously not 4k-stack related, as I'm
running FC1 w/a 2.4 kernel.  I'm also using ivtv, but I doubt that's
significant as the problem can occur when the backend is totally idle.
I also don't recall it ever happening while watching a recording; it
usually happends just surfing around the mythfrontend GUI.  It can even
happen while using an xterm.

I never had this problem for the last year-and-a-half or so.  The only
thing I can point to recently was an upgrade to the latest ATrpms
kernel, and some iterations of
installing/uninstalling/upgradging/downgrading the Nvidia drivers.  I
don't see anything in any of my logs that indicates a problem, but X
frequently locks up the machine.  It's gotten to the point where I bound
a button on my remote to "killall -9 X" via irexec :-)

Anybody care to venture a guess?

-JAC