[mythtv-users] Stupid x-server bug...

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Thu Sep 16 10:28:49 EDT 2004

 	In the process of migrating to a new box, I re-ran into the problem I
had once upon a time RE interlacing and XV.  I've got a pile of old vid cards,
but the intersection of the set of those which are:

- AGP
- Support XV
- Support interlacing
- Supports 480i timing (i.e. SLOW dotclock and HFreq)
- Bugless

is the null set.  I used to use a R128 since it does all, but there's a bug in
Xv with interlaced modelines that make it display only the top half of the
video.  With RH9, I was able to use the GATOS driver with XF86, but with xorg
in FC2 that won't work.  Any thoughts on bugfixes for that?  I suspect that
with folks with HDTV or component video at 480i will find this out as well.

Thoughts on a solution?  Cards I have tried include:
NV GF2:		No interlace (hardware limitation)
NV TNT2:	No interlace (hardware limitation)
G100 matrox:	No Xv
Voodoo3:	No interlace (says it does, but doesn't actually)
R128:		Xv Interlace bug
R128 Pro:	Xv Interlace bug
Mach64:		Not AGP (PCI slots full)
Permedia2:	No interlace
Matrox Mill:	No Xv, not AGP

 	I can't justify buying a vid card special for this, since that's the
reason I built the VGA->NTSC converter board.... to use general vid cards to
get really high-quality tvout.

-Cory