[mythtv-users] Automatic Commercial Detection - how to get it

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 12:34:59 EDT 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 11:29:28 -0400, Christopher Flynn
<flynnguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What I have noticed however that every channel here in the UK pumps up the
> > volume considerably when switching to ads, which always has me reaching for
> > the mute button. Is there any way commflag can be confugled to take this
> > into account also? Does the same kinda thing happen in the US?
>
> Yes! This is so very annoying. Not all channels do it but a large
> percentage do. I'd certainly like a feature like this.

If only we could work out a way to have MythTV electrocute people who
put their "cute" kids in their car/furniture/prebuilt home
commercials, my life would be complete.

The important thing is that I'm not bitter.

To make this message more relavent, have you noticed it's almost
always primetime network shows that do this?  I never have commercial
detect problems with cable unless there happens to be a very dark
scene, but shows on NBC and CBS regularly force me to turn off the
commercial skipping.  I seriously do think it's an effort to thwart
tivo.

--Ryan