[mythtv-users] Stupid x-server bug...

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Thu Sep 16 14:48:32 EDT 2004

 	My initial response is to get offended at referring me to a "how to ask
questions" response, but in general I agree with what you are saying.  It's
99.9% of the time a carbon error.  My specific issue is most likely NOT a
configuration problem, however.  I ran into it before on XFree86 with RH9.  I
eliminated enough variables to narrow it down to Xv on a r128 driver using
interlaced modelines.  I posted a message on the xfree86-dev list a few months
back, received a reponse from someone who confirmed it and they
supposedly fixed the problem.  Since I had already worked around it by using
the GATOS driver, I considered the matter solved.

 	Since FC2 is now based on xorg, I suspect that the xfree86 fix was not
applied.  A problem with *exactly* the same symptoms appeared with the xorg,
but GATOS doesn't do xorg yet.  I was hoping someone might have a suggestion
for a hack to fix it.

 	Oh, and it's not as common of a problem as you may think.  It appears
that most people running mythtv go with either a PVR-350 or NVIDIA for tvout.
A small subset of others might run ATI on a card with TVOUT.  An even smaller
subset of people might run ATI vid card to a VGA->Component, or a scanline
converter.  I suspect there aren't many trying to program the VGA output to
spit out 480i NTSC frequencies... rather unusual set of circumstances.

-Cory