[mythtv-users] ivtv + bttv - no sound from second tuner

Ken Stam ken.stam at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 09:42:07 EDT 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 21:22:49 -0600, Brent Fisher <brentfisher at shaw.ca> wrote:
> I know that similar topics have been posted in the past but they haven't
> helped me to solve  my problem.
>
> I've had a MythTV box running for about a year and a half with a PVR-250
> and it works great.
>
> Recently, I purchased a cheap WinTV GO FM to use as a second tuner.
> This card has no built in sound chip - it just has a line-out that I
> have plugged into the line-in on my NForce motherboard.
>
> The problem I'm having is that I can't get any sound out of this second
> tuner.  The card installs correctly, I get video and it is outputting
> sound but I can't seem to get Myth to pick it up.

I have same setup as you, I recently did a clean install of FC2 with
Myth 0.16, and took me longer than usual to get my bttv card to have
sound as well.  Likely due to not remembering what I muted/unmuted in
alsamixer.  In the end my problem was I needed to mute the "line in as
center" in alsamixer to turn this feature off.  Check that setting.

> Both cards are set to use audiodevice=/dev/dsp and I suspect that herein
> lies the problem, but I don't know what to do about it.  Only recordings
> from the PVR-250 have sound.  There is no other /dev/dsp* files.

Both my cards are set to /dev/dsp fine.