[mythtv-users] Re: PVR-250 always feeds 720x480

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu+mythtv-users at beirdo.ca
Fri Sep 17 10:20:15 EDT 2004

msk <samsara at tulsaconnect.com> wrote:
> I didn't try intermediate horizontal resolutions, but did have trouble when
> my Low Quality profile was set to 320x240. It's as if frames were lost - the
> recording played fast, looking and sounding terrible. I changed the
> resolution to 480x480, leaving the video and audio bitrates at their low
> settings, and it worked fine after that.

Yeah, precisely what I saw.  The files were 1/3 the size they should have been
and ivtv was spewing "ivtv: VIM restart" into the system log like 65 times a
second or so.  So I gave up and made it use 480 lines instead of 240. :)

> Same here. MPEG1-VCD comes out in odd colors and is much smaller than the
> screen size. It's not that important, because DVD-Special 2 is working for
> me with different resolutions (using 480 lines, anyway) and bitrates. My
> reception isn't good enough to justify 720x480 at a high bitrate (6000 Kbps
> in my HQ profile), so I don't use it (though may for capture of a commerical
> video tape that still isn't available on DVD).

Yah, I just make do with MPEG2-PS anyways.  My observation is that the
MPEG1-VCD shows two fields separately, massively vertically squished (into
about 1/4 of the vertical resolution), and with buggered colors.  I have no
idea where to go from there, so I just left it alone again.  Perhaps if any
ivtv-savvy developers are around, we can get this fixed, or get told what we
are missing in our configs ;)

Ciao
Gavin