[mythtv-users] Peer-to-peer commercial skipping

Michael Starks mythtv at michaelstarks.com
Fri Sep 17 22:57:16 EDT 2004

First, thanks to everyone who makes Myth possible; it's truly a killer
app.

The peer-to-peer threads got me thinking about other peer-to-peer
opportunities other than sharing recordings.

How about sharing commercial cut list information?  Now, I imagine there
are varying commercial length breaks, depending on where you are, but
what probably is consistent is the length of each show segment.  Maybe
this information can be shared for more accurate commercial detection.

I'm envisioning something like a show database, with information about
the length of each segment.  Only this info would be stored and shared,
not the show itself.  Think of it like a track length on a CD player.
By knowing the segment lengths, the commercial break lengths could be
accurately determined (I think).  This info could be distributed in a
peer-to-peer fashion.  It would work well for reruns, and for first
runs, the people who see the shows first lead the way for everyone else
to have the info.  Thoughts?
--
Michael Starks <mythtv at michaelstarks.com>