[mythtv-users] help w/ 350-out - color bar pattern

vasudeva vasudeva at megarad.com
Sat Sep 18 08:32:57 EDT 2004

* on 09-17-04, Michael Fenston wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm attempting to get an FC2 install up and running using Jarod's
> guide (this Fedora Myth(TV)ology HOWTO).  I'm trying to verify
> that my 350's composite output can display the color bar pattern
> as a sanity check.  I tried the example in the guide but it is
> broke under FC2 (last line below gives error) ... after contacting
> Jarod he recommended I change that last insmod to modprobe and try
> that ... this changes the TV output to a different shade of black
> but no color bars.  He also recommended using insmod but directly
> referencing the saa7127.ko file which I found using the linux
> locate command - this gives the alternate shade of black as well.
> I am totally new at this as you can tell.

We had this same problem at first, too.  Just about tore my hair out
for two days, until my girlfriend -- who is doing this install
herself to get comfortable with linux -- thought to eyeball the
startup messages.  *Duh*.  Every test produced a line like this:

Sep 15 17:50:31 sputnik kernel: saa7127: Unknown parameter
`enable_output'

In our case, most of the flags being passed to modprobe were being
considered invalid, and apparently modprobe (or the underlying
stuff) just ignores all later flags after an invalid one.  So here's
what finally worked, as I recall.

Not:
/sbin/insmod saa7127 enable_output=1 output_select=0 test_image=1

But:
/sbin/modprobe saa7127 test_image=1

If that doesn't work, let me know.  I might have misremembered, but
I'm sure I can dig up the right command again.

/></

--
linkswarm.com :: Collaborative Insolence
megarad.com :: Killing You With Technology