[mythtv-users] Recent alsa problems

David George david at thegeorges.us
Sun Sep 19 21:59:05 EDT 2004

Ian Forde wrote:

> Has anyone with a SBLive 5.1 card experienced problems with the latest
> alsa packages and playing AC3 audio through mplayer?  Audio is routing
> through digital coax cabling just fine.  AC3, however, is stuttering
> BADLY.  I've tried 2 different builds of mplayer to verify that it's
> not mplayer - one old, one new.  Same problem.  I'm hoping it's not
> just me...
>
> FC1, Kernel version 2.4.22-1.2199.nptl_52, with the following RPMS for
> alsa:
>
> alsa-devices-1.0.6a-0_30.rhfc1.at
> alsa-driver-1.0.6a-31.rhfc1.at
> alsa-lib-1.0.6-15.rhfc1.at
> alsa-lib-devel-1.0.6-15.rhfc1.at
> alsa-utils-1.0.6-10.rhfc1.at
> kernel-module-alsa-2.4.22-1.2199.nptl_52.rhfc1.at-1.0.6a-31.rhfc1.at

I don't have an SBLive in my system but I (and others) had problems with
Alsa 1.0.6a.  I don't really remember what the problem was, and I am not
sure if the atrpms build includes a patch or not.  I went back to 1.0.5a
for now.  I have also been testing the CVS versions, but will probably
wait until 1.0.7a is released (1.0.7rc1 is out now).

HTH,
David