[mythtv-users] prism54 under FC2 so I can use mythtv

Josh Bozarth josh.bozarth at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 22:35:38 EDT 2004

I had a similar problem with the firmware not loading on boot like
that, but I found a post that said to just initialize the card from
rc.local. I basically copied the following script, named rc.wlan, and
then called that script from rc.local. My wireless is working great.
Note that I am not using WEP, it's basically wide open. I'm waiting on
WPA support from prism54. I also commented out some ifup and ifdown
statements that weren't helping me any. I also had to add the route
for the default gateway.

This is a hack at best, as I get an error when I shut down the PC.
But, it works for what I need it to, so it might work for you.

#!/bin/sh
#
# rc.wlan
#

CHANNEL=6
ESSID="YOUR ESSID"
INTERFACE="eth1"
IPADDR="192.168.0.100"
#KEY="1234-5678-1234-5678-1234-5678-12" # Change this to some random value
MODE="Managed"
NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
GATEWAY="192.168.0.1"

# Set up the WiFi card

echo "bringing down ${INTERFACE}"
ifconfig ${INTERFACE} down

# down and up external internet interface - this resets the kernel
routing tables as well
# Dont use ifconfig xxx down/up here
#ifdown eth1
#ifup eth1

echo "bring up ${INTERFACE}"
ifconfig ${INTERFACE} up

sleep 5

# configure it

echo "Configuring ${INTERFACE}:"
/sbin/ifconfig ${INTERFACE} ${IPADDR}
/sbin/iwconfig ${INTERFACE} channel ${CHANNEL}
/sbin/iwconfig ${INTERFACE} mode ${MODE}
sleep 5
#/sbin/iwconfig ${INTERFACE} key ${KEY}
/sbin/iwconfig ${INTERFACE} essid ${ESSID}
route add default gw 192.168.0.1 eth1

I got a pig at home in a pen
Corn to feed him on
All I need's a pretty little girl