[mythtv-users] Re: This is odd...

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Sep 20 15:49:08 EDT 2004

On Monday 20 September 2004 11:48, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 02:18:48PM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > >
> > > There was a build of MythTV on ATrpms with the OpenGL sync code
> > > enabled, which slaughtered the cpu on my system (and others) with
> > > similar video stutter problems. It was replaced by a build reverting to
> > > no OpenGL sync enabled for the moment, so that may have been the source
> > > of your stutter as well. The new build generally works great for me,
> > > both on audio and video.
>
> Hm, I think the non-opengl_vsync version has not yet been
> uploaded. James probably sees the effects of the nodeinterlace patch
> (which I'll also remove from the next build, as Jarod readvised).

Ah, sorry, my mistake. Hadn't checked if it had actually been uploaded
already, I'm actually running my own build right now (sans opengl).

> > Wow, you mean to tell me that the default build options are really
> > that way for a reason?  Who woulda thunk it?

In retrospect, perhaps Myth rpm builds with new features ought to sit in
testing for a bit before moving to stable so we don't run into things like
this.

> It is difficult to guess the reason for the entries being commented
> out. If you imply that these were of experimental nature, there is no
> way to distinguish from lirc/alsa/arts/dvb etc which are also
> commented out.
>
> (Background: There were some posts on atrpms-devel requesting
> opengl_vsync to be enabled and that it was tested on several systems)

And with a few rare exceptions, most folks on the atrpms lists use the stock
atrpms builds, which until just recently, hadn't ever included opengl sync
for any of them to report on.

But yes, there were negative reports to be scanned on the mythtv lists, which
it seems were overlooked. I know that I, for one, am on too many high-volume
lists to pay attention to every message and missed most of these reports, but
point taken, do a bit of research before enabling features and test them out
before putting them in the stable repo.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com