[mythtv-users] Remote Control Setup

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Sep 21 01:20:10 EDT 2004

On Monday 20 September 2004 21:15, Chris LaForce wrote:
> Ok, I just loaded Windows XP up on the harddrive I do backups on, loaded up
> my Hauppauge software, and tried the remote control and suprise, suprise it
> doesn't work.  So what are my next options?

Inform Hauppauge that you got a bum remote. They've been known to send
replacements.

> Is there a universal remote I
> can get(Would there be any compatibility issues)?

Should work just fine. I've used a universal w/o problems with a Hauppauge IR
receiver (lirc_i2c), an AVerMedia one (lirc_gpio) and a MCE USB one
(lirc_mceusb).

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/remotes.php

> If so which would be the
> best?

I'm rather partial to One-for-All and/or RadioShack remotes (also made by
OfA). You can program the heck out of them to do damn near anything, and
they're pretty cheap. My RS one was a bit on the high side price-wise, at a
whopping $30.

> Would another remote also come with an IR reciever or would I use
> the one for my current remote?

Use the current one. Of course, its possible the receiver is the part that is
hosed, not the remote... My favorite IR receiver of the three I have is the
MCE USB one. It has by far the best range and omni-directionality of 'em all.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...