[mythtv-users] 2nd Card Opinions

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Tue Sep 21 13:01:45 EDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 08:54:07AM -0500, Scott Francis wrote:
> I currently own a PVR350, and I'm wondering what people think is a good
> lowcost capture card to go with it.  I was thinking about the WinTV Go,
> but see from reading the archives that the newer chipset versions aren't
> well supported.
>
> I'd love to keep this new card in the $50-$60 so that kinda removes the
> PVR250 from the mix unless I potentially get lucky on EBay or something.

If there's a Fry's near you, you might see if they still have the AverMedia
M179 in stock.  I picked up the last two in Las Vegas over the weekend for
about $40 each.  It does MPEG encoding with the same chip used by the
PVR-250, so you don't need to track down different drivers than you're
already using.  A few minutes' work with mythsetup should get it up and
running.

  _/_
 / v \ Scott Alfter