[mythtv-users] Frontend

Tom E. Craddock, Jr. sigtom at sigtom.com
Wed Sep 22 07:08:15 EDT 2004

Verteiler wrote:

> Hi,
> So now that I have my backend nearly finished, I need a new task. As I
> need a frontend to sit next to my TV, I thought of using my Epia M
> with its 600MHz Cleo CPU, but Linux does have a few issues with Via.
> So I thought of using a XBox - to that I have a few questions:
>
> - Which modchip should I use?
> - Are there any problems, why this setup shouldn't be the ideal one?
>
> Thanks for your thoughts
> Verteiler

Hey

It depends on how much you want to spend.  The modchips out there all do
the same /basic/ things, i.e. your able to flash a hacked BIOS to any of
the chips out there.  Thats all your /need/, and in fact you dont even
need a modchip, you can do a softmod ( mod the xbox thru a software
glitch in some versions of Mech Assault and a 007 game).  Do you want to
get a modchip? If so, Id recommend any of teh X2 series of chips, the
X2.6 is the most recent.  I also use the SmartXX chips, which have quite
a bit more of the bellss and whitles than other chips.  The same people
who make the X2s are comming out with the X3 this month as well, which
also has alot of bells and whitles.  Head over to xbox-scene.com and
check out ther reviews there.  Read up on what you want it to do (do you
want it to be a game console as well, or just a mythtv frontend) and
then decide what, if any, chip you want.

Tom E. Craddock, Jr.