[mythtv-users] Would like opinions regarding some HW choices

Peter Buelow pete at putzin.net
Wed Sep 22 16:40:26 EDT 2004

I'm in the process of getting started on a new OTA HD PVR using Myth, but
I have some questions. I've been through the archives and a couple of the
user HOW-TO's. Just need a few clarifications and some HW advice.

1. I want to get a miniATX box (probably a BioStar iDEQ box) which has
limited space and only a single PCI slot. Not that big a deal as this is a
PVR only box sitting in my stereo rack, so I don't need much else. I'm
choosing the pcHDTV 3000 card right now, and would like to hear how the
2000 (or if anyone knows, the 3000) card is on heat and CPU so far.
Obviously heat is an issue in this box so if this card is gonna fry
something, I would want to know before buying. Is maybe the Hauppage HD
option a better choice?

2. I've read lots of comments about different HDTV video out options.
nVidia, a video to component adapter, and other choices. What seems to
work the best? If I don't have to buy a seperate VGA card for this
machine, then I won't, but it's HD only, I want the quality. And if I buy
a card, what's the best card for component out? nVidia is the strong
choice here because it's supported well with Linux and by the pcHDTV
marketing blurbs, but I'll likely go with what works the best over any
other choice.

If the info is interesting, this will be a FC2 install on a really big
drive and have a USB wireless connection at some point. I assume as long
as the audio card is supported under Linux, then that aspect is taken care
of (S/PDIF out on all my current choices).

Finally, one thing I didn't see, is how much space an HD program of say 1
hour will take up? I'm assuming it's much larger than SD programming, but
how much recording time will 250 GB get me? Assume about 10 gig for FC +
Myth + whatever else, so in reality, 240.

Everything else seems to be fairly well doc'd at this point. Getting
pretty excited. Need to keep from abusing credit card at this point.

--
"Wherever the standard of freedom and independence has been or shall be
unfurled, there will her heart, her benedictions, and her prayers be. But