[mythtv-users] Pundit Setup

Ciaran ciaranj at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 01:39:37 EDT 2004

Since the difference between a 2Ghz Celeron and a 2.4Ghz is 1 I might
go for the 2.4 anyway,  will it run much hotter?

Does the Pundit-S (I assume this is the model we're talking about, as
the new ones appear to be -R) support S-ATA as part of the package, or
should I be looking at fast ATA drives ?

Sorry for all the questions ;)
 -ciaran

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:06:42 +0100, Ashley Bostock <abostock at gmail.com> wrote:
> If its just to be used as a dedicated myth box then yes 2ghz is fine,
> the celeron runs nice and cool keeping the fan speed down and
> therefore the noise level.  the nova-t cards use hardly any cpu when
> recording shows as the dvb stream is already recieved as mpg and is
> dealt with the hardware on the card.  cpu is only needed for
> reencoding video and/or watching it back, so go for faster if you
> want, just dont go too fast, as generally the faster the cpu the
> hotter it will get and therefore the faster the fan will spin, meaning
> a louder box.
>

> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:58:11 +0100, Stephen Tait <tait at digitallaw.co.uk> wrote:
> > At 19:13 22/09/2004, you wrote:
> > >That helps a lot :) Thanks for your time! I'll go for it then I reckon
> > >:)  you sure the 2ghz celeron's enough? I might up it just a bit to be
> > >on the safe side anyway ?
> > >-ciran
> >
> > Personally, I'd go for a lower clocked Pentium with a Northwood core if you
> > can find one. Admittedly, they're like rocking horse poo, but you'll end up
> > with a cooler chip that'll be equally powerful to a 2GHz celery. According
> > to newegg, a 2GHz celery'll cost you twice as much as a 2.2GHz P4. Argh!
> >
> > If money is an object, a celery'll do you fine, but don't expect it to be
> > any good at media encoding and compiling and other multimedia related
> > stuff. For TV playback (HDTV excepted) it's more than adequate.

- Ciaran
http://www.wombatinvasion.com/ (Share the love)