[mythtv-users] Pundit Setup

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Thu Sep 23 06:32:14 EDT 2004

At 06:39 23/09/2004, you wrote:
>Since the difference between a 2Ghz Celeron and a 2.4Ghz is 1 I might
>go for the 2.4 anyway,  will it run much hotter?

It will run hotter, but I don't know exact figures. Which core revision
celery are you getting? If the performance of the P4's are anything to go
by, the newer celerons (based sort-of on Prescott) will run slower and
hotter than the same clockspeed on a northwood-based core (although you do
get a higher FSB, which may go some way to improving multimedia performance)

>Does the Pundit-S (I assume this is the model we're talking about, as
>the new ones appear to be -R) support S-ATA as part of the package, or
>should I be looking at fast ATA drives ?
>
>Sorry for all the questions ;)
>  -ciaran

There's little point in splashing out on SATA if a PATA drive will fit the
bill. The speed gains are pretty insignificant, and any modern IDE drive
will be the same in both PATA and SATA flavours anyway. SATA does have the
advantage of having nice little cables, as long as you can find someone
selling the 20cm ones :) The 'cuda's are a good choice for noise, and I've
heard good things about the spinpoint drives as well. Can't recommend
Maxtors personally, all the ones I have seen have been slow, noisy and
failure-prone.