[mythtv-users] Best approach for TV output (composite/s-video)?

Jeff_Mitchell at accessbusinessgroup.com Jeff_Mitchell at accessbusinessgroup.com
Thu Sep 23 12:09:24 EDT 2004

Thanks to all for the advice on this.

Please feel free to keep weighing in, but my thinking at the moment is that
I'll stick with the NVidia card I have my eye on at the moment (Just a
Chaintech with a GeForceMX4000 chipset), and try the TV-Out.  If that
doesn't work sufficiently, I'll probably spend the $70, and try the AiTech
Web Cable Plus.  In the meantime, I'll keep my eye on the ivtv X11
driver/PVR-350 plugins for mplayer and xine situation.

Thanks again.

-Jeff

             Cory Papenfuss
             <papenfuss at juneau
             .me.vt.edu>                                                To
             Sent by:                  "Ryan A. Carris"
             mythtv-users-boun         <racarris at gmail.com>, Discussion
             ces at mythtv.org            about mythtv
                                       <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
                                                                        cc
             09/23/2004 11:07
                                       Re: [mythtv-users] Best approach
                                       for TV output (composite/s-video)?
             Please respond to
             papenfuss at vt.edu;
             Please respond to
             Discussion about
                  mythtv
             <mythtv-users at myt
                 htv.org>

> I use a AiTech Web Cable Plus.  It is a VGA --> S-video converter.  I
> got it for around $70 from www.buy.com a year ago or so.  Just plug it
> in and it works. The quality is fine.  It's not perfect; I can tell a
> slight differance between it and the TV's native tunner (I have a new
> 32" Toshiba), but after watching it for a while, you don't notice. I

             I wouldn't be surprised if it's the capture card, and not the
tvout.
I've ruled out my tvout solution as the bandwidth-limiting factor in my
setup
(using test patterns, etc), but the PVR-250 capture still isn't as crisp as
the
TV by itself.

             As an aside, is there any adjustment in the flicker filter
stuff on
this thing?  Can you disable it?  I suspect you're right that the ticker
issue
is from the flickerr reduction doodad.

-Cory