[mythtv-users] Best approach for TV output?

Spam Catcher spamcatcher at rogers.com
Thu Sep 23 12:30:27 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
>Thanks all.  It looks like the best option for me would
>be a vga - component converter box.  Does anyone
>have one that that they are happy with and would
>recommend?

   I've been using this:
https://www.digitalconnection.com/store/Product_Details.asp?ProductCode=9A60
   For the last year or so.  It's a decent little box.  I've been happy with
my purchase.  Beats the hell out of S-Video or composite.

>Does it make much difference what vga output drives it
>(what card, etc.)? While my TV is 1080i internally, I
>think it will accept progressive inputs and convert them,
>so I think I get to sidestep the interlace issue.

    It matters from a driver perspective (or I could be talking out of my
ass, feel free to correct me all).  For instance, with my Radeon 9000, I've
rarely been able to get 1920x1080i working, and in fact, even when it did
display properly, it ended up being more like 1660x940 or so.  But the
modelines I'm using in my config are ones that others seem to have no
trouble with so it could be just me.  Right now, because I'm not doing
anything insane with the HTPC, I run at 720x480p, which for video, looks
great.  I had 960x540p working, sort of, but it didn't look all that great.
Ha.  1280x720P might be easy to do, but my TV doesn't support it, so I don't
know.

   I've heard that some people have no problem getting GForce cards to work
ok at 1080i...but again, I use ATI in all my PC's, so I couldn't tell you
for sure.

    Keep in mind though, if you're going to play games, or anything like
that, make sure to have modelines in your XFree config for any resolution
they might decide to use.  I keep a 640x480, and 800x600 mode because some
programs want to use those, and not my fancy-shmancy 720x480 resolution.
Otherwise, the 9A60 will just shoot out whatever mode the PC sends out, and
your TV will probably not like that one bit.  (and in fact, you could
probably damage it)

     Hope some of this helps.  (also hope I'm replying properly...I've not
once been able to use this list properly, and I fully accept that it's me
not doing things right)