[mythtv-users] No black bars behind CC text in 0.16

Bela Lubkin filbo at armory.com
Thu Sep 23 21:38:13 EDT 2004

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 01:15:10PM -0700, Bela Lubkin wrote:
[quoting Gregorio Gervasio]
> > >         If you're compiling the source, you can change line 1867 of
> > > libs/libmythtv/osdtypes.cpp:
> > >
> > >             if (0 && !cc->teletextmode)
> > >
> > > Change the zero to a 1, recompile, and re-install.
> >
> > Different shows will probably look better with one text style or the
> > other.  Can this switch be made runtime-tunable?
>
> There are a *lot* of power-user switches that it would be nice to make
> runtime-tunable, like maybe deinterlacing.  If someone digs in to doing
> this, might I suggest an extensible framework, such that you might use,
> eg, "-" as a prefix key, and then allow people to allocate the
> following character for the function they want to export to that
> access environment?
>
> Yes, clearly, that approach makes using a non-keyboard remote harder,
> but it seems like it would make dozens of other things easier.

If modules have registered their tunables with an extensible framework,
they can be browsed with a normal remote control.  That is, instead of
making the user assign function keys to different settings, you only
need a single way to get _into_ a "settings browser".  From there, the
_framework_ can make menus of settings, and widgets to control those
settings.  (I don't mean to _preclude_ pure keyboard methods, but if the
thing is going to be usable from a remote it needs to have
"browsability").

Using a framework means different UIs can be written to access the same
settings, so that's a good start.