[mythtv-users] MythTV and DISH - a great solution

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Sep 24 11:47:45 EDT 2004

On 09/24/2004 10:11 AM, John Goerzen wrote:

>On Thursday 23 September 2004 04:24 pm, William wrote:
>

>>>For the record, you can control a receiver and a transmitter
>>>with a single instance of lirc.
>>>

>>Yea, but why mess with that beast if you dont have to :)
>>

>Yeah, and incidentally -- HOW (and I mean in a SANE way)?  I have a
>homebrow IR transmitter for my dish network system and I would like to
>use the IR receiver on my PVR-250.  Both have drivers, but lircd seems
>to work with only one at a time.  I'm not willing to go around and hack
>my kernel to use different major numbers for one set of devices, run
>two lircds, etc.  WTF is lirc so broken that its entire design assumes
>only one IR device on a system anyway?

Because none of the people who were upset about it have submitted
patches to allow it to use multiple devices.  ;)  Since you meet the
qualifications for a person to fix it (i.e. a programmer (assuming from
your sig) who's upset about the current design), you could be the one
who finally fixes it.

Mike