[mythtv-users] SMB or NFS?

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Fri Sep 24 14:55:27 EDT 2004

Jarod Wilson <jcw at wilsonet.com> writes:

> Except then you have to either make sure you have the exact same UID
> on your Linux box as you do w/your OS X account, or export the NFS
> share with world read/write. This is one of the big reasons I use
> samba instead when mounting shares off my Linux boxes. Then I can
> provide specific username and password information so I don't have
> to worry about uids or exporting world-r/w.

Since NFS has basically no security whatsoever (uid is just a number
in the protocol, and there's no strong authentication of a machine's
identity), I don't really see that there's much of a difference
between rw for one user and rw for all users: once the server allows
writing from any remote client, all bets are off.  This is why file
systems like AFS and SFS exist.

Cheers,
Kyle