[mythtv-users] MythMusic - tinny sound due to 48khz Alsa conversion ?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Sep 25 02:23:39 EDT 2004

On 09/25/2004 12:22 AM, Agent Yubby wrote:

> I've run into the same issue I had when using .14 which is the audio
> from MythMusic sounding 'tinny' (the high-end 'treble' frequencies are
> 'screechy' or 'echoing'.
>
> At that time, I couldn't figure out why MythTV didn't have the issue,
> but only MythMusic.   But now,  I found that when I play 48khz MP3's,
> the issue is gone.   At that point, I realized that my MythTV audio
> streams were also at 48khz.   The problem occurs when using the
> optical, or coax digital outputs on the unit, but not when using the
> analog (copper cable) connections... (which I don't want to use, since
> the digital output sound so nice)
>
> So, there seems to be an issue,  where 44khz (and below) audio streams
> are being 'distorted',  probably by the 'uplift' of the frequency by
> the Alsa driver.
>
> Has anyone else run into this issue ?   Is it just a matter of making
> a 'slave device' which can be used in MythMusic for the lower
> frequency recordings ??
> Does this previous thread apply ?
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/61265#61265

Yes, that post applies.  The information in that post can be used to
create an .asoundrc for any sound card.  As a matter of fact, the
.asoundrc can be used with other sound cards by simply modifying the
device numbers for your particular card.  (As a matter of fact, the
nForce2 SoundStorm design is based on that of the Intel i810, so the
post is more closely related than it may first seem.)

Try using the given .asoundrc (modifying device numbers as appropriate),
and set the default playback device to mixed digital or unmixed digital
(your preference--read the post for considerations), and the drivers
will take care of autoconverting frequency, format, channels, and period
time for you.

Mike