[mythtv-users] FC2 and IvyTV Problems and Questions

jon e wishbone jonewishbone at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 12:17:39 EDT 2004

> > I got nuthin'. Not sure TVTime works w/a PVR-x50 at all, try mplayer instead.
> > I can't recall if you already said the card definitely works or not. Maybe
> > that's the root of the problem?
> >

> I can capture using 'cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/tmp.mpg' and then watch
> the clip in mplayer. If I try mplayer /dev/video0, then it captures
> about a frame and the errors out. I'm not sure that's supposed to
> work, though. I'm tempted to put the card in my windows machine to see
> if it really works.

I tried some more tests today. I rebooted to make sure everything was
'clean.' Here's what I did:

cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/tmp.mpg -> worked fine
mplayer -vo xv /tmp/tmp.mpg -> plays & video shows immediately
xine -V xv /tmp/tmp.mpg -> plays & video shows immediately
mplayer -vo xv /dev/video0 -> plays, but sometimes video takes ~20
seconds to appear
xine -V xv /dev/video0 -> doesn't play ('no demuxer plugin available' error)

I'm able to run the other commands with no problems any number of
times. Then, I start mythfrontend (mythfrontend -v all -l
/var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log). I try to watch LiveTV and get the
same errors as before:

2004-09-26 16:52:04 ReadStringList timeout (quick).
Remote encoder not responding.
2004-09-26 16:52:04 33      QUERY_RECORDER 1[]:[]IS_RECORDING
QSocketDevice::writeBlock: Invalid socket
2004-09-26 16:52:04 Error writing stringlist
Remote encoder not responding.

I ^C to kill mythfrontend. If I try to 'cat /dev/video0 >
/tmp/tmp.mpg,' it hangs for a few seconds and then gives 'cat:
/dev/video0: Input/output error.'  I have an old video clip
(/tmp/test_capture.mpg) that I keep around to test things. I can play
it back in mplayer and xine.

I don't know if this implies a problem with ivtv or what. Just thought
I'd throw it there to see if it gives anyone a clue.

I'm also not sure I mentioned this before, but I'm using ivtv version
1.10-45_pre2_ck108k.rhfc2.at.

Jon