[mythtv-users] best setup in my case

Preston Crow pc-mythtv04 at crowcastle.net
Mon Sep 27 11:29:41 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 11:12, Albert Ulmer wrote:
> I'm evaluating MythTV for use as my main TV recording and viewing
> software. I've got every room networked with everything terminating in
> a 19" rack in my closet, where I also have cable access.
>
> I'd like to run a few networked frontends without a TV capture card
> which are connect to the backend over the network.

That sounds perfectly reasonable.

> 1. Is this possible at all? Can the frontends get live video streams
> from the backend's TV capture card?

Yup, that's a normal way of running Myth.  The only issue is network
bandwidth.  You're problem fine with wireless, but 100Mb ethernet is
better, especially if you want to send HDTV.

> 2. Is there any way to run the backend in "headless" mode, without a
> TV or monitor connected? How can I make changes to the configuration
> of MythTV without myth-setup?

That should be fine.  You'll want a monitor set up while you're
installing it, but once you've got the network set up, you can run
myth-setup remotely, just like any X application.

--PC