[mythtv-users] Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)

Greg Donald destiney at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 08:06:02 EDT 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:32:04 -0700, Yan-Fa Li <yanfali at best.com> wrote:
> As Isaac keeps trying to tell you.  The mysql library looks at your
> /etc/my.cnf for the value of 'socket'.

Well mine isn't, how do I fix it?

> It is not hardcoded anywhere
> in any client application of mysql which uses the standard
> libmysqlclient.

My mysql client works fine, it uses /tmp/mysql.sock, when I issue a
"show variables" query, among other things it says:

| socket                          | /tmp/mysql.sock

My Apache/PHP connects to MySQL fine, and uses /tmp/mysql.sock, when I
look at a phpinfo() page I see:

mysql
MySQL Support	enabled
Active Persistent Links 	0
Active Links 	1
Client API version 	4.0.21
MYSQL_MODULE_TYPE 	external
MYSQL_SOCKET 	/tmp/mysql.sock
MYSQL_INCLUDE 	-I/usr/local/include/mysql
MYSQL_LIBS 	-L/usr/local/lib/mysql -lmysqlclient

My /etc/my.cnf looks like this:

> cat /etc/my.cnf
[mysqld]
socket=/tmp/mysql.sock

So the setup application isn't getting the wrong information from there.

But when I try to run mythtv's setup application it doesn't connect
because it's trying the wrong socket location:

> ./setup
Unable to connect to database!
Driver error was [1/2002]:
QMYSQL3: Unable to connect