[mythtv-users] Mini-ITX or standard PC?

Adam Siegel adam at sycamore.us
Tue Sep 28 12:26:46 EDT 2004

I am running a VIA EPIA ME6000 (mini-itx).  It is fanless.  There is
almost no noise from my box (power supply fan) and very little heat.
The secret is using the PVR-350.  It does the mpg encoding and decoding
on the card.  So you don't use any CPU.  My average load on the machine
is around 0.5.  I use my EPIA box as the myth backend and frontend in my
family room and have a MediaMVP hooked up to it from my bedroom over the
network.  I bought a small shuttle style case for it that fits neatly in
my stereo cabinet.  I put a DVD reader/writer and 120GB hard drive in
the box.  It has 256MB of RAM which is more than enough.  I am quite
pleased with the performance and have had no issues.