[mythtv-users] XFS Recommendations?

Scott Petersen scott_j1 at slal.net
Tue Sep 28 17:40:42 EDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 01:22:18PM -0700, Mike Wood wrote:
> Hey guys/gals,  I'm setting up a new drive to be used as my myth storage
> device.  I'm thinking about using XFS as the file system.  I don't want
> to start a debate over whether that's a good choice.  That's been done.
>  What I'm wondering is, from those that are using XFS successfully for
> Myth, do you recommend any options/settings, either when the filesystem
> is created, or mounting options.  Obviously, I'm looking for performance
> improvements, and stability improvements, if any.

I have been using XFS on a 160GB Maxtor drive for about 6 months without any problems.  As you can see from the entry in fstab below I have no spectial mount options for it and I also did not use any creation options. It has been perfectly stable. I used reiser3 when I first started my myth project and it was quite unstable, taking an exceedingly long time to delete things. I switched to XFS and all the problems related to the filesystem disappeared.

/dev/hda3 /myth xfs defaults 1 2

Cheers
Scott Petersen