[mythtv-users] Question About Cases/Expansion Slots

FieryRed fieryred at s2z.com
Wed Sep 29 01:00:10 EDT 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 23:34:38 -0500
Chris LaForce <laforcec at centurytel.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>   I currently have MythTV setup on my Fedora Core 2 box which is a full
> tower.  I have been going through the mailing list and researching some
> other case in hopes to find one looking similar in size and
> characteristics to a dvd player/VCR. The ones I think that have caught
> my eye the most so far are the smaller ones from
> http://www.silverstonetek.com.  With these you either have the choice of
> 2 pci expansion slots or 1 agp and 1 pci slot.  I would need 1 pci for
> my capture card so the leaves either 1 pci or 1 agp slot. This would
> force me to use on board audio or video instead of my Nvidia GEForce
> 5200 video card or SB Audigy sound card. I guess my question is wouldn't
> having to use either on board video or audio lower the quality of my
> graphical or audio playback?
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Chris.

I'm partial to not using onboard sound/video.  While they my work fine for some people... they just won't compair to your nvidia nor an audigy. And you might not be able to find a board with the tv-out your mythbox needs.  However, if using one of these cases is that important... I would recommend using the tuner and the video card, as an onboard audio card would be better than an onboard video card. Onboard audio cards are getting better but I'd still rather use an audigy if I had one.

Just my two cents.
FieryRed