[mythtv-users] Mini-ITX or standard PC?

Phil Blundell pb at nexus.co.uk
Wed Sep 29 12:05:31 EDT 2004

on Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 09:15:35PM +0100, Piers Kittel wrote:
> Back to mini-itx boards - don't the M series have onboard hardware
> MPEG-2 compressor?  Also they've got a built in TV output?  So it'd mean
> I wouldn't need a powerful CPU to encode stuff, and dont' need a TV out
> graphics card?

The M-series EPiAs have hardware support for MPEG decoding, but as far
as I know they don't provide any facilities that would assist with
encoding.  You're correct that they do have TV-out onboard.

If you're building a dedicated frontend box, or working in a DVB kind of
environment where the data arrives pre-encoded, a fanless EPiA would
probably be a good solution.  But if encoding is required as well,
it might not be so great.

p.