[mythtv-users] Re: Mini-ITX or standard PC?

Piers Kittel mythtv at biased.org
Wed Sep 29 14:00:56 EDT 2004

Jason, Phil, Micah, Adam and anyone else,

So it all boils down to:

EPIA and PVR 250/350 or forget it and go for an ATX mobo with an mobile
XP processor?

Would a EPIA M 6000 with a PVR 350 be the best solution?  As far as I
see through reading the "features" list, the only things that the XP
processor will clearly be better for is transcoding, some games that
uses up CPU power and adding more than 1 cards but nothing much else and
uses up more electricity and generate more noise in general?
Transcoding, fair enough, but I could leave the mythtv box to transcode
overnight or something, I wouldn't play much games like 3D games - but
probably old games, which would do OK on a 600Mhz C3?  Also the card I
would put in would be the PVR350 so no room for owt else, but nowt else
would be needed apart from a better graphics card, and it'd be a moot
point due to the weak CPU power, and if I wanted 3D games I'd go for the
XP board.

Thinking about the PVR350 - it has a TV-out and I assume I would plug
the TV into the PVR350, but apart from the TV image, how would the VGA
be displayed on the TV?  Would the PVR350 be able to do that?  Apart
from the PVR350 being able to decode the MPEG2 stream, what is the diff
between the 350 and the 250?  Are the remote controls supplied with
those 2 any decent?

Once I've chosen the setup, choosing a case would be next - been
drooling over the Silverstone LC04 case - has everything I need, but
very disappointed that it can only hold 1 hard drive - is there any way
to add in other hard drives?  Or I should just duct tape future 2nd and
3rd hard drives onto the case? ;)  Expensive case though.  LC02 looks
nice but needs a slimline drive which is £££.  So it looks like the
Coolermaster ATC-620 is a good case - at least I can choose a nice quiet
PSU to go with that one and be able to put in 4 hard drives.

Micah: Yeah the mini-itx route is excellent - i've already got 2
mini-itx boards, a EPIA 5000 (the original one) as server (email, WWW,
DNS, many others) and a PD6000 as an IPCop (firewall/VPN) box.  There's
already an P4 mini-ITX board out for a while yet,
http://www.itx-warehouse.co.uk/Product.aspx?ProductID=160

Thanks very much to everyone for all your help so far! :)  Much appreciated.

Cheers - Piers