[mythtv-users] Problem with new version of X

Peter_Stokes at dadeos.freeserve.co.uk Peter_Stokes at dadeos.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Sep 29 14:11:55 EDT 2004

> It seems like my original problem could just be an X bug.  However, I
> don't know enough about what MythTV is trying to do to file an
> intelligent bug report.  Can someone out there help me?

I'm afraid that I'm no expert on these matters either, but it sounds like you are experiencing a similar problem to one that I have experienced (with an ATI Radeon 9600 card). The problem appears to be a bug in the X windows video card RAM memory management, the memory seems to get fragmented and then the system is unable to allocate a sufficiently large chunk of continuous memory to perform the Xv overlay required for video playback. This fragmentation appears to be caused by the caching of pixmaps (icons, etc.)

There is a workaround listed on the Xine media player website (http://xinehq.de), which I have found works for me. In your X configuration file (xorg.conf, or XF86Config) add the following option:

Section "Device"
... other video card settings ...
Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps"
EndSection

Iím am not exactly sure of the other side affects of this change, I guess it has the potential of slowing down other aspects of X windows?

I hope that this helps.

Pete

--

Whatever you Wanadoo: