[mythtv-users] How to force MythTV to use NuppelVideoRecorder?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 29 16:15:33 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 15:34, Brett Keating wrote:
> I'd like to know what kind of hardware set-up is needed in order to
> get the software encoder (the NuppelVideoRecorder) to be used by
> MythTV.
>
> I currently have a Hauppage PVR-350, and I appear to be forced to
> accept the hardware-encoded MPEG-2 produced by the card. I would
> prefer to receive raw video, audio, VBI, etc. from the card and have
> that input to MythTV and encoded by the real-time JPEG encoder.
>
> I am willing to swap out my tuner card for another card, if that is
> the simplest and/or cheapest solution. However, I am also willing to
> do a bit of mucking with the code if it's not too much trouble, to
> get the current card to do what I want with MythTV.
>
> Ultimately, my goal is to be able to access the raw video, audio and
> closed-caption data from within the MythTV code during a recording.
> If you know how to do this, and see that I am barking up the wrong
> tree, let me know... but it seems fairly straightforward to do so, so
> long as the software encoder is being used during recording.

I don't know if the PVR-x50 cards are even capable of providing raw
video...

As far as the closed-caption (VBI) data goes, see below...

> Yet another alternative that I would be happy about, is to receive
> audio/closed-caption data during a post-processing pass similar to
> what is done for the commercial skip code. I see how to get the raw
> video from the commercial skip code, but not how to get audio or
> closed-caption data.

Currently, if you want the VBI data, you need an analog tuner card that
uses V4L.  The VBI support for the PVR-x50 cards is being worked on by
the ivtv driver developers, but it's not stable/finished AFAIK, and
it's not supported by Myth yet anyway.

HTH,

JAC