[mythtv-users] processor?

Asciimonster asciimonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Sep 30 06:10:31 EDT 2004

Ryszard wrote:

>I'm thinking of building a mythtv box, i've got in mind the pundit-r,
>hauppage 350 etc etc, and am wondering about processor speed, of
>course more is always better.
>
>i'm thinking of a celeron 2,4 for about 65-75 euro (in holland)
>
>is it enuff?

Well, only if you use the TV-out (module ivtv-fb) of the PVR 350. I have
a PIII 1 GHz with a PVR 250 and 350 and that runs at 6% CPU maximum. The
hard disk (transfer speed) is the limiting factor, however.

And I must object to the phrase "more is better" because more also means
more fans. The newest compu's have 5 or more fans, giving rise to the
747 effect (the noise of a starting 747). Luckily my PIII only has 2 and
the noise is quite bearable.