[mythtv-users] mythtv box hw

John Kuhn kuhn at razorsys.com
Thu Sep 30 10:16:14 EDT 2004

> I'd like to build my own mythtv box from following hw (plan to purchase):
> MB & CPU: VIA Epia M10000 or MII 12000

I dont know much about Epia/Linux combo but i know VIA has it issues
with myth/linux..

> RAM: 256MB

should be plently.. i use less..

> HDD: 2,5" 4200RPM ~40GB or 3,5"

you are going to fill this drive awfully quick.. consider storing shows
on a network share..

> TV: PVR-250 (or PVR-350)?

go 350.. it will keep the load off the via cpu and give you 100x better
tv-out quality..

> I'm planning to use PCI ribbon-cable extender for TV-card, large
> heatsink and custom made case to use this setup as fanless. No CD or
> DVD drive! My goal is to have a box capable of recording shows with
> time-shift capable. Also requirement is that if recording from TV, I
> would be able to view already recorded shows from MPEG-2 and/or xvid
> format? Currently I own Leadtek WinFast TV2000 XP Expert (Connexant
> 23880), could I use this card for this setup?

assuming the VIA cpu can keep up encoding and decoding mpeg4 i dont see
why not.. i'm suspect it isnt fast enough to make the video "fluid"