[mythtv-users] Pundit and HDTV

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Thu Sep 30 12:10:26 EDT 2004

It's pretty much stated a 2.8Ghz minimum.  Although possible, if any
only if you have a backend doing the recording and commercial detecting
so that the frontend only does decoding, you could then use a 2ghz and
an NVidia card that supports XvMC and be able to get somewhat smooth
motion.  If you only have one system don't even think about trying to
use anything below a 2.8 ghz or you'll hate the outcome.  So get two
systems, one for backend and one for frontend if you really want a quiet
setup.  Disk seeking, especially with HDTV is usually the loudest sound
on a HTPC and when you get clicking 2-5 times a second you notice it.
Running just a frontend that streams the media from the backend will
also help stop the disk noise since it's not accessing it's own disk.

As for quite, if you went no fans on a frontend that's possible.  My
HTPC is around 28Db.  Yes you can hear it but only if it's a dead silent
parent of a movie.  Another option is putting your box in another room
and running the video/audio cables to the room you're in, and use a
remote.

--Brandon