[mythtv-users] Re: Mini-ITX or standard PC?

Micah Wedemeyer fanmail at micah-wedemeyer.net
Thu Sep 30 13:24:58 EDT 2004

Piers,

In my research for my Epia setup, I've read that a lot of people have Epia +
PVR-350.  As far as I can tell, this is probably the best setup if you want
hardware encoding and decoding on an Epia.  I wish that I had gone that
direction...

As far as cases go, I have a Silverstone LC-06.  It is pretty expensive but
has room for regular sized 3.5 HDD and 5.25  I think, with a little
imagination, you could probably fit another HDD inside on top of the optical
drive.  As to noise, I have the fan dialed down to 1/2 using a Zalman fanmate,
and I find it silent at 1m.  In addition, the 80-watt power-supply is external
and fanless, so it is silent.  There are no other fans, so the only things I
hear are the DVD-drive and the HDD.  For silent recommendations of these, look
at: http://www.silentpcreview.com  It is also possible to slow down your HDD
using /sbin/hpdarm -M, which gives me a good bit of sound savings.  So, all-in-
all I am quite pleased with the Silverstone LC-06.

Hope this helps,
Micah