[mythtv-users] S-video & widescreen - both in and out

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Fri Apr 1 09:39:24 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 10:31 +0100, David wrote:
[on non-square pixels due to widescreen stretching...]
> A thought just occured.
> X *can* do this - but not all X apps will take it into account - but I
> think Qt is better at it than most... I'd expect Myth to aspire to
> improve too.
>
> Can you edit your XF86Config-4 file and go to the Monitor section, then
> add in a line like this:
>
> Section "Monitor"
> DisplaySize 728 270
> EndSection
> Where the numbers are the width and height of your widescreen display in
> mm (give or take 5mm is fine)
>
> This will tell X that your pixels are not square. I don't think it will
> be a panacea (I expect your fonts won't be 'square') but it may help some.

Thats an interesting idea - I'll give it a go when I'm back at home and
post a note on whether it works well.

To tell you the truth, the interface looks fine with the widescreen
stretching.  The real problem is getting the video play modes right so
that a widescreen video stream (ie a DVB recording which I know is
widescreen) displays correctly - not letterboxed, not stretched and with
the side edges cut off.

	Nigel.