[mythtv-users] HDTV Woes

John Sturgeon mythtv at sturgeonfamily.com
Fri Apr 1 16:49:15 UTC 2005

Mat Kyne wrote:

> After 5 attempts to get myth running correctly on FC3, I tried (for
> the 3rd time) to install Knoppmyth.
> I am pleased to report that after much online research, the drivers
> were loaded for my pcHDTV 3000, and eventually, my nVidia 5200 FX. So,
> after calling my wife at work and demanding that she cross her
> fingers, I selected the option "Watch TV"  . . . And there it was!
> GLORIOUS HDTV !!! . . . . For about 2 seconds. Then it froze and
> crashed.  :(
>
> Well I had heard that HDTV live was not all that great, So I set it to
> record Lost in ABC.
>
> -I had to schedule a manuel recording, because the myth guide times
> were off by several hours- I will ask about that in a later post.-
>
> Well, while I was watching the show on SDTV, I saw my HDD light start
> to blink, so I knew it was recording. Yeah!
>
> So after my wife went to bed, when I am allowed to "Play with my
> stupid computer" I tried to watch the show I recorded.  --You can
> probably tell that this is not going to end well --
>
> Well the picture was amazing, but the playback was choppy/jittery. If
> I tried to fast-forward or skip a commercial, The system would just
> hang. I was able to Ctrl-Alt-Esc out ant try again. Then I remembered
> reading Jarod's Guide (You da man!), and what he had written about
> giving Myth root privileges (I think it's called suedo-root). So I did
> that, and tried again. No real improvement, and when I tried to skip a
> commercial, the system crashed. I couldn't even ssh in to do a nice
> reboot.
>
> So my question that I lay before the all-knowing Mythtv guru's is
> this, What am I doing wrong. Do I just need a faster processor (I
> currently have a 2.4 Ghz Celeron that I bought just for this)? Or are
> there other things that I can try first. Any help would be
> appreciated. Thanks -Mat

First, you should try XvMC for playback if your card supports it, also,
I have found that when you are decoding in the CPU that mplayer gives
you a few more options that can make the output a bit smoother:  Try:
mplayer -vo xv -framedrop -mc 0.001 (the -mc is video motion correction
timing.  The lower the value the less 'aggressive' it is.).

--
John Sturgeon <><
http://www.sturgeonfamily.com/mythtv.php